Answered By: Emily Pearson
Last Updated: Aug 03, 2020     Views: 7

Many of these resources are listed in our online catalog, Sherlock. In Sherlock you will find a link to the digital version if available.  




Books- Our physical book collection is currently available if you are in Walla Walla. You can place a request for porch pick-up through Sherlock. Otherwise, if you would like to view portions of books in our collection, including the TOC or Index to make further requests, you can request scans through Interlibrary Loan.

Summit & ILL- These services are not currently available. ILL can still be used for digital materials, such as articles or book chapter scans.

Reference- Encyclopedias, dictionaries, and other reference books can be valuable sources for verified data and information. There are many digital encyclopedias which can be found in Sherlock, if you need something from a physical reference book, you can request scans through Interlibrary Loan.

Course reserves- Professors often put textbooks and other resources needed for a class on hold for the semester at the library. You can consult a list of reserves here. You can request scans from reserves through Interlibrary Loan.

Databases- Databases provide Penrose with access to over 4,000 journals online, as well as datasets, structures, citations, and primary sources.

Journals and newspapers- Many of our databases provide digital access to academic journals, popular magazines, and newspapers. If you find a citation for something from a journal or periodical in our physical collection that we do not have digital access to, you can request a scan through Interlibrary Loan.

Archives and special collections- The Whitman College and Northwest Archives is closed until further notice and staff will have limited access to holdings. Some of our materials have been digitized in Arminda.

Government Documents- Government documents can be reports, congressional records, regulations, and government funded research from both a local, national, and international level. Some government documents have been digitized and can be found in HathiTrust or in Sherlock. If you need scans of materials in our physical collection, you can request a scan through Interlibrary Loan.

Films- We have multiple streaming channels which can be found in our A-Z list, including Kanopy, Digital Theatre Plus, Dance in Video, and Films on Demand. If you are faculty and need access to a film for class, please contact Roger Stelk at

Theses- Since 2010 we have collected digital copies of honors theses which can be found here.